Monday, June 4, 2012

Hello Everyone,

What a blessed day it has been! God is so good! Today we travelled to the school in Kibera, which is in the slum outside of Nairobi, where we had an incredible time playing with the children. Before we went, we picked up bread and juice to hand out and wow were they excited! It was completely heart-warming to see their faces glow at the sight of us, and the food of course. All they wanted was to be held, hugged, and have their pictures taken. Even the little ones who didn't speak much just wanted to hold your hand...To be honest, it felt amazing to be so loved. In the beginning I believed that I loved these children because I came to see them, but now I realize that they love me VERY much in return. Bless their sweet little hearts. You know that wonderful feeling when your presence turns someone's world around? That good feeling that you've impacted someone's life? It felt that way today. Not only did God bless this school today with lunch, but blessed myself with this feeling. I'm quite sure the rest of the team is feeling this way as well. Today's trip to the school was life-changing. Coming from a rookie and never visiting circumstances as these, my perspective about life has been changed drastically.

Kibera

The school in Kibera
Ending our day in the slum, we walked through small alleys, tight corners, and over a lot of trash to visit one of the teachers who was sick at home. Helen had an asthma condition, so she didn't have a voice, but told us her story in a whisper. Despite her health, she was still very welcoming in her home. As all eight of us, plus our guide and Helen, we fit shoulder to shoulder in her living room. She has cared for ten children, five being her own, and the other five being her deceased sisters. You could tell that Helen has a big heart and loves Jesus Christ, which was incredibly inspiring. I pray that God strengthens my faith like He has for Helen!

Devotional Comments:
I strongly believe God rewards the faithful and here is why! I've noticed how quickly God's replies are to my prayers when I've stopped and prayed right away. Whenever something good happens, I used to run and tell my parents, or my friends, which is okay but shouldn't be the first person I seek. I focused more on the blessing than on the blesser. Yet once I began turning straight to God, that instant feeling of "got your message Hannah," was so strong on my heart. Whenever I had a struggle, I usually turned to a friend for advice, which once again isn't wrong but I've noticed it's better when I seek God's council first. That day I turned to God during a tough day, within in seconds, God's replied. You know it's a good feeling when God talks to you! So stopping and praying for anything, struggles, praises, or even requests, God honors your faithfulness to turn to Him first!

Prayer Requests:
- Please be praying for me, Hannah. Been feeling a little sick all day and finally stopped me this evening. Just some stomach problems, and feeling very overwhelmed from today's encounter.
- Our group is traveling (early in the morning) to Kisumu for two days. We'll be building homes, so a lot of energy is needed!
- A quality night sleep is requested. The entire team is still feeling that 7 hour time change ;)
- Please pray for more safe travels. So far we haven't encountered any problems, and we pray to keep it that way!
- Prayers for our families back home
- Children at the school in Kibera
- Helen, one of the teachers at the school who lives in Kibera

Just a heads up, this may be out last update for a little while. We're not sure if Kisumu will have Wifi.

Thanks again for all your prayers and checking in on us! God Bless!

Love, Hannah

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you, Hannah! Praying for team health and hearts that are open to God's leading. Soak in every moment! (And take lots of pictures!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad everything is going so well! Praying for ya'll.

    ReplyDelete