Wednesday, June 13, 2012

It's All Worth It...


Ejoka,
That’s a typical greeting in Turkana. This is Josh. J

First allow me to say hello and I love you to my beautiful wife and kids back at home! I miss you!

Okay. Well, we haven’t had internet for a few days now since Saturday so here is our update from Sunday.

-------------

Praise God I’m feeling better! This morning we went to a church that our host and leader Thomas planted about 3 years ago in an “Internally Displaced Persons” camp. They call it the IDP Church. The camp is full of Turkana people that fled their homes in the interior of the country during violent elections in 2007. Many people were killed during that time so families in the camp are missing husbands, fathers, brothers, children. There are lots of children that don’t have any parents. They fend for themselves or if they are lucky someone in the camp might help take care of them. But they are not getting any education.

The orphanage that we have been visiting for the past 3 days called House of Hope has 7 kids that have come out of that camp so far. They live at the orphanage and are getting education. Thomas shared with us that there are still so many kids left that they would like to get out of the camp and send to school. Pray that money will be donated so House of Hope can “adopt” these kids and provide a future for them.

We arrived at church and they were already singing praise songs. There were all the kids from House of Hope, a few of the staff ladies and then about 40 people from the IDP camp. They sat us in the front and then had the children’s choir sing some special music. They also had a teen/adult choir that sang special music for us too. We enjoyed ever second of that beautiful music!

Church at the IDP Camp

Pastor Jacob, who has been there since Thomas planted the church 3 years ago, spoke. There was a 15 year old boy who did some preaching too! Pastor Jacob explained how joyful and thankful they were to have us in their church. He stated that we were all one family in Jesus. They people shouted, “Amen” and cheered. Every believer in Christ we have met here has welcomed us with such joy and celebration. They have incredible energy and faith.

Pastor Jacob and his wife, Miriam

Then, they invited us to introduce ourselves. A few of the team shared how much they loved being here and how thankful we are to be with our Kenyan brothers and sisters in Christ. They invited me to preach and God gave me the energy to share a word. I spoke for about 15 minutes while Thomas translated. At the end I told them that we would take their pictures and their names back to our home and will not stop praying for them. When I was done speaking everyone wanted their picture taken! Haha I think they were excited that we would want to remember them and pray for them.

After the service we were going to go back to the Lodge where we are staying but the Land Rover broke down again. We at least made it to the orphanage, which is close to the church, where we could trade for an old pickup truck. About 2 miles down the road the pickup truck broke down too! So we called a taxi and waited for about 30 minutes on the side of the road in the shade till he came and took us back to the lodge. What a crazy day!

We rested until Thomas arrived with the pickup truck newly repaired, and returned to House of Hope to play with the children. We started by teaching them a few English bible songs with motions and then I asked them to teach us some of their songs. They had a good time laughing at us as we mispronounced most of their Turkana lyrics. Then I asked them to teach us some of the games they play. The first game was just like duck-duck-goose and then a few games they taught us involved singing and clapping. Once again they giggled while we gave it our best effort. I love those experiences in another country!

Singing with the kids at House of Hope

It’s days like today that remind me why I lead short-term mission teams. I must confess that while I was laying in bed sick all day on Friday I wondered if I just wasn’t cut out for missions anymore. I seem to get sick a lot lately when I travel. But after a few hours of prayer and silence I heard one thing; if you are going to do something in life that matters it will always come with sacrifice. It’s as though God encouraged me that this trip matters even more then I know. It made a mark on eternity for the lives of not only the people we came to minister too but to the students on our team as well. If I have to get sick then it is still worth it to be able to lead a group of young guys and girls into such a life as this. A life that doesn’t sit on the couch of self-focused faith, but into a life that goes and does the will of God wherever, whenever, and at whatever cost. This is the call of God to all our hearts. If you aren’t sacrificing something then you aren’t living for what is eternal.

I’d do it all over again even knowing that I would get sick.

God has done incredible things in and through each student on our team. I have seen each of them using their heart and their gifts to bless the people here. I have also seen God changing their hearts. The ministry part of our trip is done. We will travel to our place of debrief and rest tomorrow. But the ministry that God has done in our hearts is not over yet. There are still many chapters in our book yet to be written by the hand of God.... It’s just starting to get good.

Prayer:
Pray for us as we travel back to the US on Wednesday/Thursday.
Pray that we will not stop listening to the word of God in our hearts.
Pray that God will give us clarity about what is our next step and where to go from here individually.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon and sharing our incredible journey!


Josh Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment