Friday, June 8, 2012

Last Day in Kisumu


Thoughts of today from Jonathan Reichel...

God continues to amaze me by what He is able to accomplish! Today we have flown, driven, built physically, and united spiritually. Now for the juicy details!

This morning we woke from our hotel in Nairobi shortly before 5am. Using my pinky toe to find furniture in the dark, I finished consolidating all my needed clothes and working supplies into a small backpack to join the group for our very early flight from Nairobi to Kisumu. (Bonus points if you “Google earth” search these locations ;-)

After cramming into our sardine can with wings, we buzzed our way through the skies. The beautiful view reminded me of a heavenly bowl of marshmallows, but that may be due to the fact that we skipped breakfast. 


After our short flight we arrived at the Kisumu “International Airport” - a cozy, yet modern reception. 

Another (incredibly skilled!) driver picked our group up and perfectly navigated terrain that would make stunt drivers tip their helmets in respect. He lovingly deposited us in the care of tonight’s host, Jarrod, who’s kind family promptly showed us to our lovely rooms and fed us generously. (I want the recipe for those potatoes!)

Jarrod!
After a quick turn around, we assembled our gear and prepared for a few of my expected highlights of the trip, construction and taking care of the beh-behs! I cannot emphasize enough how viscerally exciting it is to experience a master driver at work battling physics to keep us on what roads are available to travel! If anyone needed a chiropractic adjustment, I think the rocks and speeding motorbikes took care of it. ;-)

On the way we stopped for gas and found that the van would not start again. After several minutes of the driver and petrol attendant trying all they could, our group abided by one of our trip mantras “Stop, and pray.” Less than a minute after we asked God for a little extra mechanical assistance, the engine burst back to life and resounding squeals of joy (some, manly) filed the van, and we were back on our way! God is the best mechanic. ;-)

Once we arrived in the village, we were overwhelmed with the warmth and love that the villagers shared with us. They were very happy to see us, and we were very blessed to help. After many cheerful smiles and hand shakes, we unpacked our supplies and got to work laying posts, digging holes, measuring, cutting, hammering, and nailing. My hands quickly rediscovered ancient calluses I had forgotten since my days of lawn care, and I was blessed seeing them develop for a good cause.



Several of the group peeled off as there were lulls in hammer availability to play soccer with the kids and keep their smiles wide and laughs filling the air. I think I saw David with a record of 3 kids in arms at once, and it seems that all the girls had at least 1 beh-beh in their lap every time I looked over. Their songs and laughter blended as a perfect chorus to the rhythm of the hammers. ;-)


As the sun started to set, the roof was just being secured and the last of the nails had found their use. I know many of us had a new set of battle scars on our hands from a full day of work. The pastors and most of the village piled into the new home and thanked us for our help. We prayed together in many different tongues, and shared a beautiful time of celebration. It is amazing to see how God can knit hearts together from such different cultures with the perfect love of Jesus Christ!



Much more to come, I love you dearly!
-Jonathan Reichel  ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment